You bend them, kneel on them, and exert your weight on them routinely. Yet none of us ever give them a second thought until they malfunction.
The joint we refer to as the knee is made up of the kneecap, the rounded bottom end of the thigh bone and the flat top of the shin bone. A tendon attaches the kneecap to the thigh muscles above, and a ligament connects it to the shinbone below. As the knee bends and straightens, the kneecap slides up and down in the vertical groove between the two bones, strengthening the muscles attached to it.
If any muscles, tendons, and ligaments pull too strongly or not hard enough, the kneecap get pulled out of its track which can cause pain and may even damage the kneecap. Since women have larger hips, the thigh bone of women connects to the knee at an angle that causes the knee to twist. This makes women more susceptible to kneecap injuries.
While knee problems can result from injuries such as falls, automobile accidents, and athletic injuries or diseases like arthritis, the vast majority of knee problems are caused from over stressing the knee during running, climbing, or other exercise. Muscle imbalances, in which one group of muscles is stronger than another and pulls harder, can also cause knee problems.
If your knee problems are the result of overuse, lack of use or improper training rather than injury, you can use the following home remedies to maintain your health and speed the healing process:
• Apply hot water bags to your knees
• Use over-the-counter pain and inflammation relief creams
• For relief from pain and stiffness, make a paste with cinnamon powder and honey and apply this to your knee. This mixture is excessively warm in nature and may burn your skin so be careful. You may add flour for a cooling effect. Knead it into dough before applying.
• Massage your knee with a warm mix of mustard and olive oil.
• If possible, take a steam bath to make the joints loose and limber.
• Before you go to bed, massage some vinegar onto your knee. Try to use organic vinegar, since chemically formulated vinegar is extremely harsh in nature and may do more harm than good.
• Lose that excess weight. Join a gym to prevent your knees from crashing under you.
• Exercise the joints to strengthen the muscles supporting them through swimming, biking or rowing. Stronger muscles mean stronger joints.
• Buy a good pair of shoes that give support and absorb impact well.
• Use an ice compress over the sore knee for not more than 20 minutes for every hour.
• Nutritional supplements like vitamin B3 and vitamin E may also be useful in treating knee pain due to osteoarthritis.
• Include more Ginger in your diet.
• A decoration of these herbs Hingulesvara rasa, Maha Yogaraja guggulu, Yogaraja guggulu, Simhananda guggulu, Visatinduka vati and Eranda paka taken with warm water can relieve knee pain
• You can also make a warm paste by using wheat, castor and turmeric mixed in goat’s milk or ghee and apply it on the affected area.